O Donovan Rossa Commemorative Event at Cape Clear Island, Co. Cork, Saturday 13th August.

Cape Clear Island Ferry leaves Baltimore at 2pm and returns from Cape Clear at 6pm

Remembering O’Donovan Rossa’s engagement with the Cape Clear island community of 1862.

As part of the Cork County Council 1916 Centenary Programme, a Commemorative Event will take place at Cape Clear island on Saturday 13th of August recalling Jeremiah O’Donovan Rossa’s engagement with the starving poor of Cape Clear in 1862. On the ferry journey to Cape Clear a brief 2.30pm stop will be made at the Gascanane Rock to reconnect with a tradition associated with the rock and with O’Donovan Rossa.

At Cape Clear island a Silent Walk will take place from the corner at Dinny Burkes to South Harbour where O’Donovan Rossa met with and distributed relief to some 300 starving men, women and children. The neglect by Government and landlords and the shocking housing conditions on Cape Clear in the 1860s will be presented in an exhibition at Cape Clear Island Museum. Miss Terry Kearney, Manager of the Skibbereen Heritage Centre will launch the exhibition. All interested in the history of islands and in the life of West Cork man, O’Donovan Rossa are invited to attend.

Historical Exhibition at Cape Clear 4pm detailing the background to starvation and neglect of islanders in 1862

In 1800 the Parliament at Westminster passed the Act of Union taking full responsibility for the governing of Ireland. However, subsequent British Governments and landlords in the nineteenth century rarely considered that they had any duty of care towards their tenants and to the poor that their privileged class, had by their centuries of neglect created in Ireland.

The famine death and emigration throughout Ireland in the mid nineteenth century was not an act of God but was caused for the most part by English Government control of Ireland, the plunder of its resources and its wealth, the export of huge amounts of food while the population starved. Government political and economic policies, indifference and landlord neglect caused most of the deaths and the subsequent emigration of millions of Irish people between the years 1845 to the early 1900s. The West Cork area and the islands in particular were badly affected by extreme poverty, hunger and death during these years. At first glance, the extent of the suffering of the people of Cape Clear during periods of distress and starvation seems incomprehensible, given the abundant fish stocks in the surrounding seas. During this time however, the market price of fish collapsed and many fishermen sold off their fishing-gear, their household furnishings to buy food and pay rent, as neither shopkeeper nor landlord was prepared to give credit to the poor of the island.

In May 1862 people were dying of starvation in Cape Clear Island and the situation in nearby Sherkin Island was also desperate. Islanders were calling on the Skibbereen Board of the Guardians, for immediate relief. In a series of accounts, The Cork Examiner newspaper reported in graphic detail on the hardship and hunger being experienced by Cape Clear islanders. These reports stirred a great amount of controversy and brought newspapers into conflict with the Skibbereen Board of Poor Law Guardians. In an attempt to avoid further bad publicity, the Poor Law Commissioners composed of several landlords and business interests decided to send a ton of meal to the island.

Jeremiah O’Donovan Rossa who was at the time a shopkeeper in Skibbereen was asked to undertake the work of Temporary Relief Officer for the islands for a period of three months. A boat was made ready to take him and the meal to the islands for distribution. He brought with him his neighbour, Michael O Driscoll, who also knew the island and its community and, like, Jeremiah was a fluent Irish speaker. The meal was put on board and next day set sail for the island.

Arriving in Cape Clear about nine o’clock in the evening Rossa and O’ Driscoll were met by the island curate Fr. Collins with a horse and cart to transfer the meal to his house at South Harbour. Word was sent throughout the island to have all those in need come to the priest’s house at South Harbour next morning to take their share of the relief. Some 270 starving islanders came and received a small measure of meal. Father Collins next took O’Donovan Rossa to see a bed-ridden woman who was living in a cleft of a rock on a hill at the back of his house at South Harbour. They had to crawl on their hands and knees to get inside her ‘house’ and there the poor woman was stretched upon flagstones, covered with heath. She could not sit up to cook the measure of meal that they gave to a neighbouring poor woman for her. The priest suggested that as there was some of the meal left, it would be no harm to give this neighbouring poor woman an extra measure of it in consideration of her attendance upon the sick woman. The woman was given the extra measure. O’Donovan Rossa lost his job because of this.

On the way to the other end of the island to take the boat to Sherkin a number of houses were visited. Some of them had flags for doors—the wooden doors having been burned for firing. In one house were five or six children; one of them was dead—evidently dead from starvation. On reaching the mainland O’Donovan Rossa reported the case of death to a coroner in Skibbereen; an inquest was held and the coroner’s jury brought in a verdict of: “Death from starvation”

The Report infuriated the Commissioners and their chairman, the Cape Clear island landlord called for a postponement of a discussion on Rossa’s Report until the next meeting of the Board of Guardians. At that meeting the landlord had other landlords and friends gathered around: He had an account of Rossa giving the extra measure of meal to the bed-ridden woman: he declared that to be a violation of the Poor Law Rules and Regulations; he proposed that Rossa be dismissed from the position of temporary relieving officer; that he get no salary for the time he had served, and that he pay out of his own pocket for the extra measure he had illegally given away.

The Board dismissed Rossa from his position and the struggle on that subject continued for about six weeks, during which time Rossa continued to visit the islands and bring help to islanders who had been abandoned not alone by the greedy landlords but the Westminster Government who governed Ireland at that time. O’Donovan Rossa brought the Commissioners before the court who found in his favour and the Commissioners were obliged to pay him his three months’ salary. They set out to destroy his business and have him arrested and imprisoned for his republican views.

The high profile given the Coroner’s verdict of death from malnutrition mentioned in Rossa’s report of 1862, and the accounts in the Cork Examiner of widespread starvation, shocking housing conditions and distress brought on a Parliamentary Inquiry which drew attention to landlord neglect of their tenants as well as conditions being suffered by much of the Irish population at the time.

Cork County Council Centenary Fund supports this event.

2016 Commemorative Events at Cape Clear Island, Co.Cork, August 20th-21st


Over the weekend of Saturday- Sunday 20-21 August 2016 events relating to the Howth Gun-Running of 1914 and the part played in that daring and historic venture by Cape Clear fisherman and poet John K. Cotter will be held at Cape Clear Island, Co. Cork.

1. John K. Cotter Memorial Lecture at Club Chléire, Cape Clear Island, 8:30pm Saturday 20th August 2016.
John K. Cotter, Glen, Cape Clear island was a fisherman and poet who composed poems in both Irish and English on a range of varied subjects. Aspects of the following subjects feature in one form or another in verses he composed: landing of guns from the Molly and Erskine Childers yacht Asgard at Howth in 1914; boats, fishing and sailing; island landscape; dancing and other pastimes; An Ghaeilge; love, youth and old age. He also penned a number of poems about other places that were familiar to him, including Galway and Blackwater, Co. Kerry, where he and his family relocated in 1920. His verses are the words and thoughts of an island fisherman who loved his island home, its community, its way of life and language.

Dr. Éamon Lankford, founder and voluntary director of Cape Clear Island Museum and Archive is author of a number of works on Cape Clear island life and history. He has edited the manuscripts, left by John K., of some forty poems. Between 1976 and 1990, he also recorded a number of the poems from an older island generation who were able to recite them from memory.

On Saturday 20th August at 9 pm Éamon Lankford will deliver a lecture titled: Remembering John K. at Club Chléire, Cape Clear island. Over the weekend it is also intended to visit sites mentioned in the poems of John K. where members of the island community will recite some of his verses. All are welcome to attend.

The book of the poems of John K. Cotter : Ó Charraig Aonair go Droichead Dóinneach / From Fastnet Sound to Blackwater Bridge, will along with an exhibition detailing the part played by John K. and the crew of his fishing vessel Gabriel in the landing of guns from the Asgard will be launched at the Island Museum at 3.30pm on Sunday afternoon 21st August.


2.Commemorative Exhibition: The Howth Gun-Running and its connection with Cape Clear islanders
Within a week of the start of the First World War in 1914 a small group of Anglo- Irish Protestant Nationalist daringly brought some 900 guns from Germany to Howth, Co. Dublin in a desperate effort to help arm the Irish Volunteers. Ulster Unionists had been stirring up opposition since 1912 to prevent the passing of the Government of Ireland Bill at Westminster which was at the time offering a measure of Self Government to Ireland. Unionists in Ulster formed the paramilitary Ulster Volunteer Force and imported some 35,000 guns and 3 million rounds of ammunition to back up their threats to oppose by all means the will of the Government and Parliament at Westminster. The Crown authorities took no action against the Ulster Volunteer Force who were heavily armed and drilling openly. As the Erskine and Molly Childers owned yacht Asgard carrying its cargo of guns and ammunition approached Howth on Sunday morning 26 July 1914, Cape Clear islander John K. Cotter was the only person on the East Pier at the time. A member of the crew of the Asgard, from Gola Island, Donegal, recognising John K. from a previous fishing encounter in 1913, called on him to assist with the mooring of the boat. John K. caught the rope passed to him and, with assistance from some of his own crew, who, by this time, were emerging from Cotter’s fishing vessel Gabriel, hauled the Asgard around the head of the East Pier and moored it.

John K. and fellow Cape Clear islander, Carey Con Cadogan, then went on board the Asgard and from its hold, together with McGilligan and crewman Charles Duggan, also from Gola Island, organised the opening of the cargo boxes and all then set about the distribution of the guns, first to Na Fianna scouts and then to the crowd of several hundred of the Irish Volunteers who had, by that time, arrived on the pier, having marched from Dublin to collect the arms.

As soon as the guns were offloaded and dispatched John K’s motor-powered Gabriel towed Asgard from Howth Pier into a position from which, under her gallant skipper and heroic crew, she could safely and swiftly head for the open sea. The guns landed at Howth Pier were used by the Irish Volunteers in the 1916 Rising in Dublin.

Cape Clear islanders have always known and are proud of the part played by John K. Cotter and the crew of Gabriel in helping Erskine and Molly Childers in that bold, historic venture. What if that initiative had not been successful?


The 2016 commemorative events at Cape Clear island are supported by:

Cape Clear island placenaming book launched in Cork

posted in: book, place names, Uncategorized | 0

By Leo McMahon – Southern Star, Jan 2013

An Logainmníocht in Oileán Cléire ( ‘Placenaming in Cape Clear Island’) by Éamon Lankford, was officially launched by Emeritus Professor of Irish at University College Cork, Seán O Coileáin at a very well attended function recently in The Flying Enterprise Lounge and Restaurant, Cork.

Speaking in Irish Prof Ó Coileáin said that in addition to being a comprehensive and detailed listing of over 2,200 placenames, plus maps and colour photographs, the 350 page book focused on how and why features of the natural and cultural landscape of the island of Cape Clear were named down through the centuries and what could be learned from these. He also noted that Éamon had been collecting and mapping placenames since the mid 1970’s from older generations who were native speakers, information that would otherwise be lost and he congratulated the author and everyone associated with the book.

Born and reared in a bilingual household on the northside of Cork, Éamon pointed out that he didn’t step on to Cape Clear until 1975, having heard a lot about it from his wife Máirín who spent time visiting there in the ‘sixties. Initially, on behalf of Comharchumann Chléire, the island Co-operative they established a summer course in Irish for student teachers and subsequently founded the museum and heritage centre on the Gaeltacht isle where the family had a holiday home for some years.

Having got to know the local community, especially older people who had a deep knowledge of it’s fishing and farming methods, its fields, coastline, boreens, lanes, wildlife, its rich heritage, folklore, way of life and other features, he started collecting and mapping placenames not alone on Cape Clear , but on other islands as well and eventually throughout the whole of County Cork and County Kerry.

Prof. Seán Ó Coileáin (right) with author Éamon Lankford after he officially launched his book An Logainmníocht in Oileán Cléire. (Photo Billy McGill)

Éamon thanked Seán Ó Coileáin, Monsignor Pádraig Ó Fiannachta, Maynooth and Canon Mícheál Ó Dalaigh who encouraged him to make his work at Cape Clear the subject of a PhD which he completed in 1995; Dr Fionnghula Sweeney who drew the maps, Fintan O’Connell of Inspire Design and Print, Skibbereen; the Heritage Council and Bord na Gaeilge, UCC for funding support; his wife Máirín and family and especially the people of Cape Clear and those who supplied and helped him compile the names, including Pádraig Ó Céadagáin, Donnchadh Shéamais Ó Drisceoil, Eireamhoin Ó Drisceoil and Bill Curtin.

A welcome was extended by Cecilia O Drisceoil, former principal of the island’s primary school. She pointed out that Éamon is also author of ‘Cape Clear Island – its People and Landscape’; ‘Naomh Ciarán, Pilgrim Islander’; ‘Bealach Oidhreachta /Cape Clear Island Heritage Trail’; ‘Fastnet, An Charraig Aonair’; ‘O Driscolls, Past and Present’ and of course the Cork County Place Names Survey Collection of 120 volumes housed in the County Library and launched as the Cork Place Names Archive by former President Mary McAleese in 2009.

Thanks were expressed to Finbarr (Inchigeela) and Dolly (Drinagh) O’Shea, daughter Fionualla and staff of The Flying Enterprise at the reception where Eamon presented a copy of the book to Séamus Ó Drisceoil, Cathaoirleach, Bord Bainistíochta, Scoil Inis Cléire.

The large attendance included Éamon’s wife Máirín, daughter in law Jenni and grandson Adam; nieces Siobhán and Maeve Lankford, nephews Séamus and Pádraig Lankford, David Browne, Canon Micheál Ó Dálaigh, Fr Liam O’Regan, Fr Patrick Hickey, Prof Gearoid Ó Crualaoi, Prof Breandán Ó Conchúir, Dr Roibeard Ó hUrdail, Dr. Colin Rynne, Dr Paddy and Anne Cronin, Pádraig Hamilton of Gael Taca, Cork County Library staff; the Hegartys and Fordes from Drinagh and a large contingent of Cape Clear islanders, while busy selling books were Michelle Higgins, Claire Daly and Lorraine Hurley of Logainmneacha Chorcaí – the Cork Place Names Survey office.

Loraine Murray, Michelle Higgins, Claire Daly at the launch of the book about placenaming in Cape Clear island, at the Flying Enterprise Complex Cork, 15 November 2012 (Photo Billy McGill)

The history, lore and daily life functions which brought about the creation and preservation of so many of the island’s names is explored. A listing of all documentated sources consulted is provided as is an index to all names in the compilation. Some interesting colour photos of old stone built housing add considerably to ones appreciation of the landscape of the island and its placename heritage.

The book is now on sale priced €28, direct from Book Shop Or Logainmneacha Chorcaí, Áras, 13, Dyke Parade, Cork (Tel 021-4274110) and at Liam Ruiseal’s Bookshop, Oliver Plunkett Street, Cork.

O Driscolls: Past and Present

posted in: book, Cape Clear, O Donovan, Uncategorized | 0

Book Launch at O Driscoll Clan Gathering, Baltimore, County Cork, Ireland, 7.30pm, Saturday 25th June, 2005, in Baltimore Sailing Club.

The author of this excellently researched and attractively produced 193 page book is Dr. Éamon Lankford founder / director of Cape Clear island Museum and Archive. It is beautifully illustrated with maps, drawings, plans, genealogical charts, 70 B/W and colour photographs.

The O Driscolls have, for over 1,500 years, been anchored in the ancient district of Corcu Lóegde, now known as Carbery, in West Cork, Ireland. They can boast of their connection to the early Christian pilgrim, Saint Ciarán, born in Cape Clear island , who became, the patron saint not alone of Ossory, but also of Cornwall.

From the twelfth century, O Driscolls were confined to an area consisting of poor land and a long and dangerous coastline, from Castlehaven to Baltimore and the islands of Sherkin, Heir and Cape Clear. Here, from their many castles, they established themselves as great mariners on the south coast , engaging in piracy, feuds, warfare and controlling some of the richest fishing grounds in Europe.

The seventeenth century Fínghin Ó Driscoll, Fineen the Rover, although famous in song and story, set in train a series of events and land deals which were to reduce the O Driscolls to poverty and cause their leaders and many of their descendants to emigrate to England, Canada, America and Australia. They went as ‘Wild Geese’ to France and Spain and other places where they made a name for themselves in military, religious, economic, medical, cultural and political life of many countries. In time, in Ireland, they adapted to new ways and became merchants, journalists, authors, poets, educationalists, religious and legal figures.

Also treated is, the tantalizing mystery of who today should be called ‘The O Driscoll’, the hereditary chieftain of the clan. The story of some who form the international family is told in the chapter titled The O Driscoll Diaspora. Today, there is a new spirit among O Driscolls worldwide which owes much to the Annual O Driscoll Clan Gathering which takes place in June each year at Baltimore and the islands. O Driscolls:Past and Present tells some of the ever evolving O Driscoll story worldwide. It makes an ideal present for anyone remotely related to an O Driscoll.

Available from Book Shop

Bookshops in Cork, Skibbereen, Clonakilty, Caseys of Baltimore Hotel, Cotters of Baltimore etc. Price: Euro 15, plus 3 Euro packing and postage to Europe. 26 US Dollars per copy including postage. Bank drafts in Euro currency or bank cheque cashable outside the USA etc (will speed dispatch). ISBN 0 9534898 4 1

Commodore John J. Kavanagh (Retrd) Irish Naval Service who launched O Driscolls:Past and Present at the O Driscoll Clan Gathering 2005 at Baltimore and author Éamon Lankford.

O Driscolls at the 2005 O Driscoll Clan Gathering prior to the launch of O Driscolls:Past and Present.

1979 Fastnet Race Remembrance at Cape Clear Island

posted in: Cape Clear, Fastnet Race, Uncategorized | 0

In 2004 Cape Clear Island Museum & Archive, County Cork, Ireland organised a number of events in recognition of the 150 years of the Commissioners of Irish Lights having built a lighthouse on the Fastnet Rock which is less than four miles from Cape Clear.

The Museum and island Co-operative arranged the erection of a monument on a hillside where one views both the old disused Cape Clear Lighthouse with Signal Tower alongside and the Fastnet Lighthouse. The monument was unveiled on May 23rd by Captain Owen Deignan of the Commissioners of Irish Lights.


The Fastnet Lighthouse Exhibition presented at the island Museum illustrates the history of the Cape Clear Signal Tower (c. 1805), Cape Clear Lighthouse (1818-54), the Fastnet Lighthouse of 1854 and that of 1903.

Fastnet:An Charraig Aonair, by Éamon Lankford, Director of the island Museum, details the history of the Fastnet Lighthouse and also covers the tragedy that befell the 1979 Fastnet Race.

From Cape Clear one sees the Fastnet Rock which is the turning point for the biennial Fastnet Race. Between August 13 to 16th, 1979 the Fastnet Race was torn by a storm that led to the loss of 15 lives among racing sailors and the sinking of five boats.


The twenty-fifth anniversary of the most tragic event in yachting history was honoured on August 15th 2004 by Cape Clear Museum & Archive. Included in the day’s events were the presentation of the 1979 Fastnet Race Exhibition, unveiling of a Memorial and book launch. At the island Museum, John P. Bourke, Admiral of RORC unveiled the specially commissioned Fastnet Race Memorial by Cork sculptor Don Cronin. The symbolic piece is in limestone and glass. The names of those who perished are written on glass symbolising that their names are forever written on the waters around the Fastnet.

John P. Bourke, Admiral of RORC unveiling the Fastnet Memorial, Dr. Éamon Lankford, Fastnet Remembrance 2004 Director and Commodore John J. Kavanagh (LE Deirdre, 1979).

Ted Crosbie of the Irish Examiner daily launched the book Fastnet:An Charraig Aonair by Dr. Éamon Lankford, founder/ director of the Island Museum & Archive which contains an account of the 1979 Fastnet Race and the part played in the rescue operations by the Baltimore Lifeboat and the Irish Naval Service..

John P. Bourke, Admiral of RORC unveiling the Fastnet Memorial, Dr. Éamon Lankford, Fastnet Remembrance 2004 Director and Commodore John J. Kavanagh (LE Deirdre, 1979).

Ted Crosbie of the Irish Examiner daily launched the book Fastnet:An Charraig Aonair by Dr. Éamon Lankford, founder/ director of the Island Museum & Archive which contains an account of the 1979 Fastnet Race and the part played in the rescue operations by the Baltimore Lifeboat and the Irish Naval Service.

Present at the opening of the 1979 Fastnet Race Exhibition was the Deputy Mayor of the County of Cork, Cllr. Jim Daly, Lt. Cdr Nial Manning of the Irish Naval vesel LE Emer and officers, Capt. Harry McLarnan of the Granuaile, vessel of the Commissioners of Irish Lights, Baltimore Lifeboat under Cox Kieran Cotter who was a member of the crew who rescued the crew of Regardless and Marionette during the Fastnet storm of 1979. Also present was Commodore John J. Kavanagh who was Lt. Cdr. of the naval vessel LE Deirdre which located some 17 yachts during the 1979 storm and guided rescue services to their location.

On behalf of the island Museum Terence C. Johnson, Chairman of RNLI (Ireland) presented citations to Christy Collins, Cox of the 1979 Baltimore Lifeboat, Kieran Cotter, present Cox, Capt. Neil Manning of LE Emer, Commodore John J. Kavanagh (retired) and Peter Whipp of the 1979 Fastnet Race yacht Magic who along with Neil Kenefick a member of the 1979 crew of Golden Apple of the Sun have helped to establish ‘The Fastnet Race Remembrance Collection’ as part of the Cape Clear Island Archive.

The Royal Ocean Racing Club, organisers of the biennial Fastnet Race gave the twenty fifth anniversary Fastnet Remembrance Ceremony undertaking wholehearted support and a plaque presented by RORC is mounted in the island Museum. Ted Turner presented the Museum with a copy of a painting of Tenacious winner of the Fastnet Race 1979 and a number of others presented charts and photographs of yachts which participated in the 1979 race. A considerable number of accounts of the 1979 Fastnet Race have also been received. During the day’s event at Cape Clear a number of participants in the 1979 race were interviewed by television networks, radio stations, press and the Museum’s recording team. It is hoped to have some of this material available in the Island Archive.

John O’Donnell, SC, sailed Sundowner in the 1979 race along with his father Barry and Nicholas and in 2004 on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of the tragedy of 1979 John wrote a poem called The Wave. Nicholas O’Donnell read the poem to a hushed audience at the Museum and this was followed by the fine singing of Rory Allen of Ballymaloe of ‘The Fastnet Race’. The ballad was penned by Kathryn, daughter of Donie O’Sullivan, Secretary of the Ballycotton Lifeboat during the ‘Fastnet storm’ of 1979.

The highlight of of the 1979 Fastnet Race Remembrance on 15th August 2004 was a very moving Remembrance Ceremony at 5.30pm conducted from the deck of the Irish Naval vessel, L. E. Emer under Lt. Cdr Neil Manning positioned at sea off Cape Clear and in view of the Fastnet. The vessel of the Commissioners of Irish Lights, Granuaile, under Capt. Harry McLarnan, stood by, and the Baltimore Lifeboat with its full crew, Courtmacsherry Lifeboat, island ferries and yachts from Schull, Baltimore and Cork were alongside the naval vessel. Some forty participants in the 1979 race from both Ireland and Britain travelled in the boats which took part in the ‘Parade of Boats’ from North Harbour.

Over 400 people observed the ceremony from boats at sea . A wreath of wild flowers from the island was placed on the ocean by Kieran Cotter, Cox of the Baltimore Lifeboat. As each of the names of those who perished were called by Neil Kenefick of Golden Apple of the Sun, the ship’s bell was rung. This was followed by a period of silence as the wreath bearing the names of the fifteen sailors who were lost floated on the water towards the Fastnet Rock. A Prayer Service conducted in both Irish and English by the island curate Fr. Peter Queely and the Rev. Bruce Hayes, Skibbereen followed. Dr. Éamon Lankford read a message from the President of Ireland addressed to the bereaved families and the rescue services of Britain and Ireland. The assembled officers and crew of the naval vessel gave a salute as the ship’s bell was rung once more and a naval piper played the haunting tune ‘Going Home’ over the waters of the Fastnet.

The names of the fifteen sailors who lost their lives in the 1979 Fastnet Race have been inscribed in stone both at Cape Clear island’s North Harbour and in the Memorial at the island Museum.

We thank all who have visited our beautiful island and we warmly invite you to return.

1 2